Saturday, June 28, 2014

can we talk a little baseball...

can we talk a little baseball...

                                                                 "The Greatest"

Little boy in a baseball hat stands in the field with his ball and bat
Says, "I am the greatest player of them all"
Puts his bat in his shoulder and he tosses up his ball.
And the ball goes up and the ball comes down,
Swings his bat all the way around
The world so still you can hear the sound, the baseball falls to the ground.
Now the little boy doesn't say a word, picks up his ball he is undeterred.
Says, "I am the greatest that there has ever been"
And he grits his teeth and he tries again.
And the ball goes up and the ball comes down,
Swings his bat all the way around
The world so still you can hear the sound, the baseball falls to the ground.
He makes no excuses he shows no fear
He just closes his eyes and listens to the cheers.
Little boy he adjusts his hat, picks up his ball, stares at his bat
Says "I am the greatest when the game is on the line"
And he gives his all one last time.
And the ball goes up and the moon so bright
Swings his bat with all his might
The world's as still as still can be, the baseball falls
And that's strike three.
Now it's suppertime and his momma calls,
Little boy starts home with his bat and ball.
Says, "I am the greatest, that is a fact,
But even I didn't know I could pitch like that!"
Says, "I am the greatest, that is understood,
But even I didn't know I could pitch that good!"

tate's message...

“Baseball is like church. Many attend, but few understand.”



Baseball is my passion. I often tell people it is my life and that it is literally a part of me. And a lot of the time others don’t understand why. They think it’s boring. Or slow. Or too hard. Or a lazy sport. But the truth is they just don’t understand how “life is wrapped up in that three-inch universe of twine and leather” (in one baseball). Some people will never understand the game of baseball, until we show them why it is so great. The culture. The background. The rules. The unwritten rules. The mental preparation. The fact that what you do changes as the pitch selection changes. Many people don’t understand because they don’t know what baseball really consists of.


I remember getting asked a lot before I came out why I was even coming or why I didn't  just go play baseball right away or just go study right away and get a head start. Many people might not understand the “why?” behind the things we do. But we can help them understand. But first we have to actually know why we do them. Are we doing them just to follow what we have always done? Or are we doing them because we understand the real significance? Are we just going to church, or are we going because we actually understand why it is essential? Do we read the scriptures just to do it, or do we do it knowing the true reason why it’s important? Do we pray just to say we did our daily prayers, or do we pray knowing that god is listening and that he has a plan? Many people don’t understand why we do all of this, maybe because they don’t know the blessings that come from it it. But I know for a fact that by loving others and showing them what this life really consists of, we ourselves understand even more why we are here and we can help them see the blessings that come from this gospel. 


“LIFE IS LIKE CHURCH, MANY ARE HERE, BUT FEW UNDERSTAND”



Well this week started off really good on Monday. We had a good meeting in the morning in the office and then we just went straight to lunch. It was a sad day in chile because the soccer team lost so everyone was way mad and in a bad mood. Very quiet day. we got back to the office and finished up some things and then went to a family home evening along with the new office couple. It was awesome to see how much love the members have for them even when there is a language barrier for now. They laughed. Spoke in broken English. And just had a good time. It was also good to see at least two families who didn’t really care that much about the game and were just focused on showing their love for others. It was cool for me to see how they really aren’t focused in the little details such as a game or worldly things, rather in whats really important.


Tuesday flew by and then Wednesday I got some of the best news ever. We went to district meeting and the elders from my last sector told me that one of the people I found my last week there who didn’t really want anything at that point is now getting baptized. We are going to go surprise her! Im excited. We helped her son get baptized and now a whole year later she is. I love how sometimes we never really see how much of an effect we have on people. We always want things now now now but sometimes it isn’t what god wants. I am really stoked to go watch her make such an important covenant with god. It will be a special day for me and especially her.


Thursday was spent in curico at a special training for the district leaders. It started at 930 AM and included lunch but didn’t get over til 4. Then we came back and got stuff ready for tomorrow and ended the night with a meeting with president. Next week will be pretty busy as well… we have leadership counsel and then we have one more special training. Should be a good week though. It will go by fast. And that already puts us at the end of week 3 of the change. That is crazy.


 Friday was spent here in Rancagua in the mission home for the whole morning and until about 6 o clock. We had a really good training with the district leaders and it’s always fun to be able to see some good friends. It’s weird to look around now and see how young everyone is. I am feeling old because look around and see a bunch of people in the room who got here when I had like a year in the mission. 


 I also found out I will be going to the temple the 22nd of July. We get to go one time during the mission and that is when I will go. I’m excited to get back there. I have missed that sacred feeling of being within temple walls. There is no other feeling better than that. I hope you all don’t take for granted the fact that we have a temple so close and it is so easy for us to go. There are people here who save for the whole year to go just once to the temple. I hope that inspires you to be more grateful and go to the temple more. We will never be lost of find ourselves not worthy if we are constantly going to the temple. That will always be my goal in life. Look towards the temple. It’s a true test of how you are doing in gods eyes. Well this week was good. I love you all so much! Have a good one! 

elder harding 

No comments:

Post a Comment