Monday, April 1, 2013

letter from my uncle...



The following letter was written from Travis and given to Tate before he left on his mission in a journal he gifted.


letter from my uncle...

Elder Tate John Harding –
*What can I say? It is the night before you leave. You just called and were set apart. I remember the feeling. Tate – I thought I would share a few thoughts w/ you.
*You are about to begin one of the best parts of your life. A mission is awesome. It is hard. It is one of the hardest things I have ever done – but -> it was by far one of the BEST things I have done with my life.
*it is like anything else in life, you will get out of your mission what you put into it. It is up to you. Don't waste time, give it all you got, and come home w/ no regrets. President Hinckley said "Do the best you can. Work hard. Do what is right!" If you think that the last few years went by fast, * A mission is no different. It will be over before you know it. It is special and nobody can take it away from you.
*That is true with your testimony. Your testimony is your own. It will grow and strengthen as you serve your mission and beyond. That was one of my favorite things to share on my mission. They don't need to take your word for it – but they can find out for themselves if the church is true. The church is either true or not. It is that simple. Tate – I know that the church is true w/ all my heart. It has made me a better person, a better husband, a better dad.
*Tate, the priesthood is real. It will humble you if you use it right. Do not be casual w/ the message you share. It is the most important message you will ever share w/ the people of Chile. Don't ever apologize for the gospel of Jesus Christ! It won't always be easy. I heard a quote the other day… "Just be yourself…because tomorrow…you're not going to have to worry about remembering who you pretended to be yesterday." – Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey 2012
*be good to the people of Chile and … love them! A true test of the person you are is how you treat those who can be of no possible service to you. You will make some friends for life. I know for a fact that there are people that our Father in Heaven has prepared for T. John Harding from Pocatello, ID. I know that. And when you meet them… you will know!
*Love the Book of Mormon. There is no more important book. It will teach you about the savior more than anything else. There is power in that book. If your contacts will read from it & feel your testimony, they will know for themselves. As you serve, testify of this book as it shapes your mission.
*Last of all… learn to love to pray.  Prayer is the way we communicate w/ our Heavenly Father. You know that. But it will be, at times, all you have. Prayer has helped me in my life and I am grateful for the knowledge that we have – that HE is real and He knows us personally. He knows what we go through at all times.
Tate – I love you my nephew. It has been fun to watch you grow up and become the man that you are. You are|and|have made good decisions in your life. You have been a good example to me and my wife & kids. Thank you. Good luck, serve hard, and give it all you got. Leave it all there in Chile – it will be a lot harder to come home than to go. I hope you use this journal to create/capture some special times.
                                SURE LOVE YA –
                                                                TRAVIS JOHN KUNZ #2

1 comment: